Real fixes for ObamaCare (Affordable Care Act)
Congress and pundits are proposing shallow, ineffective fixes for ObamaCare, which is the nickname for the Affordable Care Act. Of course, ObamaCare is just as unaffordable as expected by those who read at least parts of the act and wrote about it in 2009 and 2010.
I've written several times about how I think ObamaCare should and could be fixed if only Obama wanted to fix it. Here's my latest version, which I posted in the comments section of http://www.nationaljournal.com below an article: Why ObamaCare isn't so easily fixed, by Sam Baker:
1. Remove the mandated benefits (preventive care and wellness for worried well, dental, chiropractic, acupuncture, etc.) that are not cost effective, enrich insurers and providers and make ObamaCare so expensive. Consumers should pay for preventive and wellness care out of their pockets, not paying insurers high premiums to cover their maintenance expenses.
2. Make ObamaCare a catastrophic health INSURANCE program, not a wealth shifting and redistribution welfare program.
3. Either make health insurance tax deductible for all or nobody.
4. Sharply reduce subsidies for middle income people who drive two new cars, own five TVs, take long vacations and live in big houses; preserve them for hard core unemployed— the 15% who really are poor.
5. Enact tort reforms that would cut the price of health care by 10% or more in some states.
6. Defang the HHS secretary's rate setting, benefit dictating, benefit cutting powers.
7. Rewrite confusing, dictatorial, unworkable regulations. Those regulations hould be 1,000 pages, not 20,000-plus. Reduce administrative costs for providers and insurers.
8. Forget tax credits. They mean nothing to the 47% who don't pay income taxes.
9. Forget selling insurance across state lines. That would make UnitedHealth and Humana the AT&T and Verizon of the health insurance industry. It would make health insurance more expensive, not less expensive, I think. Think about what would happen if NY or California became the standard setter for health insurance regulations and laws the way Texas controls K-12 textbooks and California dictates environmental rules for autos and other industries.
And here is what I blogged here back in September.
House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) should include the 10 fixes for ObamaCare in the bill that he announced he will have the House vote on next week.
If the House bill doesn't include fixes for ObamaCare that are being demanded by both Republicans and Democrats, it's a political fraud.
1. Remove provisions that give DHHS the power to give special treatments to unions and other Obama Democrats, the power to dictate insurance premiums and premium increases and the power to manipulate health insurance benefit designs.
2. Remove provisions that are causing employers to shorten work weeks to less than 30 hours and keep their payrolls under 50 people.
3. Remove mandated benefits that make ObamaCare plans unaffordable for all but those who will be subsidized by the federal government.
4. Remove the "death panels" that will decide without political review what will be covered and what won't be under ObamaCare.
5. Ban state laws that will make it unlawful for small and large companies and unions' Taft Hartley plans to self insure and buy stop loss reinsurance.
6. Remove the corrupt IRS from the role of enforcing ObamaCare rules.
7. Remove all pork that makes ObamaCare a multi-trillion dollar loser. The real positive provisions in ObamaCare can be implemented for several billion dollars, not trillions.
8. Remove all provisions that fund immoral, unethical and dishonest government promotions of ObamaCare to clueless consumers.
9. Remove funding for worthless wellness and preventive care programs.
10. Remove the 37 new government agencies that are created under ObamaCare.